Who We Work With
WinGate is a nature-based adventure therapy program that helps struggling adolescents (ages 13-17) – helping even the most resistant youth find a path to hope. Our approach helps our clients begin to trust, heal, and discover a vision for themselves.
Our best work is with treatment-resistant clients who may be oppositional, manipulative, and/or highly anxious. Broadly speaking, our clients' specific concerns fall into several categories, including:
- Depression and anxiety
- Personality disorders
- Substance abuse or addictive behaviors
- Mild eating disorders
- Defiant and oppositional disorders
- Trauma, Grief, Loss
- Learning Differences
Call Us or Email Us now to confidentially discuss your situation with our Admissions Director, , or our Admissions Coordinator, . Both are experienced treatment professionals with years of experience working directly with struggling adolescents, young adults, and families.
A partial list of specific issues that WinGate effectively treats includes:
- ADHD, Attention Deficit
- Addiction/Substance Dependence
- Anger/Anger Management
- Anxiety Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Bulimia and Anorexia (mild)
- Depressive Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Dual Diagnoses
- Failure to Launch
- Family Discord
- Grief and Loss
- Identity Formation Difficulties
- Oppositional-defiant Disorder
- Poor Social Skills
- Process Addictions
- School Avoidance
- School Underperformance
- Risky Sexual Behavior
At WinGate, we recognize that the admissions process can be a daunting and difficult time for parents. With this in mind, WinGate makes every effort to be flexible and accommodating in the planning and completion of the arrival of each student. Setting the right expectations and working within some simple guidelines will help parents and students have the best possible experience at the beginning of the journey.
In planning your student’s arrival to WinGate, please keep the following guidelines in mind.
Days of the Week and Time of Arrival
Admission to WinGate can happen any day of the week, but variations are required in the planning based on day and time of arrival. Please speak to our Admissions Director regarding the specific details of arrival.View
Arrival Day Activities
The schedule on the day of admission consists of obtaining a short sports physical (including blood work), getting outfitted at the WinGate offices, and taking inventory of all items brought with the student, and preparing them to meet with the group. WinGate will ensure that the student gets lunch/dinner throughout the process and will make every effort to help the student feel comfortable throughout the day.
When the student arrives at WinGate, the admissions counselor working with the family will be updated on the student’s current mood and emotional well being. Parents can then expect a phone call with a general update on how their child is doing. In addition to this general update, the admissions counselor will inform the parent on when they can expect to hear from the therapist that has been assigned to work with the family.
Therapists make every effort to contact the family within 24 hours of the child’s arrival.
WinGate recognizes there are many challenges in placing your child, including the financial requirements in sending your child to the right program. To help you with this burden, WinGate is pleased to offer parents assistance with the loan process, giving parents the resources necessary, with immediate access to multiple loan options, in the most effective way.
Transport & Crisis Intervention
Initial Crisis Intervention and Transportation services may be necessary if interpersonal dynamics do not allow you to safely, respectfully bring your child to WinGate. Please speak with the Admissions Director for more information about crisis transportation of your child.
At times it is necessary for families in crisis to obtain the professional services of “Transition Mediators.” We believe that if this step is necessary the process in which it is handled is vital to the emotional stability and well being of your child.
There are many reputable organizations located across the country. WinGate Wilderness Therapy has developed relationships with several organizations and is happy to provide contact information based on the specific needs of each family. Please call our Admissions Department for additional information.View
If your family is utilizing the guidance of a highly skilled Educational Consultant or Clinical Professional we strongly recommend that you speak with your professional prior to requesting contact information from our Admissions Department.
While investigating agencies these are questions we recommend you ask:
- What types of personalities do you look for in an employee?
- Does your organization require all mediators to be W-4 employees?
- What type of professional liability insurance do you have? What does it cover? Can I obtain a copy?
- What types of training certifications requirements do you have? And how often to you require your employees to re-certify?
- What types of background checks are completed on your employees?
- Do you have written policies in place that mandate “no physical restraints will be used at any time throughout the transport?”
- How should we start the intervention process with our child?
- How will your agents respond if my child becomes verbally abusive, threatening or violent?
- What should I do about my other children in the house?
- What if my child does not want to go?
- What if my child tries to run away?
- Will your organization allow my child to smoke cigarettes? Or use the phone?
- What policies are in place that requires all my child’s questions to be answered in an open honest manner?
- Is it a good idea for me to write a note or letter to my child explaining the therapeutic program or school?
The following airports have closest access to our facilities. Get driving directions below:
Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
Salt Lake City Airport to Kanab, UT • 327 miles • approx 5 hour drive
Las Vegas - McCarran International Airport (LAS)
Las Vegas Airport to Kanab, UT • 217 miles • approx 3 hour 30 min drive
St. George Regional Airport (SGU)
St. George UT Airport to Kanab, UT • 92 miles • approx 1 hour 40 min drive