Wingate Wilderness Therapy hosts a conference call every Tuesday night at 7:00 PM (MST-mountain standard time) for parents who have students attending Wingate currently. For Parents who had a student at Wingate in the past or were Young Adult Wingate students, Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM (MST) a conference call will be hosted. It is our hopes to offer continued guidance and share advice for ongoing challenges parents may be facing. Please join us and offer your support or advice or ask questions! Join us by calling (312) 757-3121 then dial 394-920-621 to enter the conference call. (No conference call will be hosted on National Holidays).
Wingate Wilderness Therapy has a comprehensive list of reading that can help parents to better understand what their child is going through as well as how to help them through it.
RECOMMENDED READING LIST:
The Disease of Chemical Dependency
• Alcoholics Anonymous or any publication from AA, NA, Al-Anon or Nar-Anon
• Under the Influence - A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism by Dr. James Milam and Katherine Ketcham
• Chalk Talks on Alcohol by Father Joseph C. Martin
• Passages Through Recovery by Terence T. Gorski
• Staying Sober: A Guide for Relapse Preventionn by Terence T. Gorski and Merlene Miller
• The Recovery Book by Al J. Mooney, M.D., Arlene Eisenberg, and Howard Eisenberg
Addiction as a Family Disease
• Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
• Beyond Codependency & Getting Better All The Time by Melody Beattie
• Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
• It Will Never Happen To Me by Claudia Black, Ph.D., MSW
• Family Recovery - Growing Beyond Addiction by Merlene Miller and Terence T. Gorski
• The Joy of Being Sober - A Book for Recovering Alcoholics - and Those Who Love Them by Jack Moroney
• Grandchildren of Alcoholics - The Next Generation by Ann Smith
• Choice Making for Codependents, Adult Children and Spirituality Seekers by Sharon Wegscheider-Cruse
• Another Chance: Hope and Health for the Alcoholic Family by Sharon Wegscheider-Cruse
• I Won’t Wait Up Tonight: What To Do To Take Care of Yourself When You’re Living With an Alcoholic or an Addict by Terence Williams
• The Family Recovery Guide: A Map for Healthy Growth by Stephanie Brown, Ph.D.
• Adult Children of Alcoholics by Janet Woititiz, Ed.D.
• Struggle for Intimacy by Janet Woititiz, Ed.D.
• Perfect Daughters by Robert J. Ackerman, Ph.D.
• Silent Sons by Robert J. Ackerman, Ph.D.
• My Dad Loves Me, My Dad Has A Disease by Claudia Black, Ph.D., MSW
• Straight Talk from Claudia Black: What Recovering Parents Should Tell Their Kids About Drugs and Alcohol by Claudia Black, Ph.D., MSW
• Think of Wind by Catherine Mercury
• Mommy’s Gone to Treatment by Denise Crosson, Ph.D.
• Mommy’s Coming Home from Treatment by Denise Crosson, Ph.D.
• It’s Not Okay To Be A Cannibal by Andrew T. Wainwright and Robert Poznanovich
Personal Growth and Other Topics:
• The Courage to Change, Daily Meditations, purchased through Al Anon meetings
• The Language of Letting Go, by Melodie Beattie
• Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David S Burns, M.S.
• Happy For No Reason: Seven Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out by Marci Shimoff
• The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck, M.D.
• Overcoming Perfectionism by Ann Smith
• The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook by Martha Davis, PhD. Elizabeth Robbins Eshelman, MSW, and Matthew McKay, Ph D.
• Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, M.D.
• Primal Wound by Nancy Newton Verrier
• Loving What Is by Byron Katie
• Real Love by Greg Baer, M.D.
WinGate Recommended Reading List for Students and Parents:
• Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves by C. Terry Warner
• Leadership and Self-Deception by The Arbinger Institute
• Anatomy of Peace by The Arbinger Institute
• Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl, M.D.
• The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz